The first Lake County vineyards were planted in the 1870s. By 1900 Lake County wines were winning awards in international competition, and the region was earning a reputation for producing some of the world’s greatest wines. However, in 1920 Prohibition forced an end to Lake County wine production. Most of the vineyards were eventually ripped out and planted with other crops such as pears and walnuts.
Lake County’s re-emergence in the wine industry began in the 1960s when a few growers discovered the area’s wine grape potential and began planting new vineyards. From less than 100 acres in 1965, vineyard acreage has grown to over 8,800 acres today and is expected to double in the next few years.